Ten Thousand Goddam Cattle - A History of the American Cowboy in Song, Story & Verse - With annotated music (guitar chords), chapter notes, glossary, bibliography and index. First published in 1976, the book is now available from the University of New Mexico Press.
While Katie was touring the country as a folk singer, she interviewed cowboy songwriters and researched the roots of traditional cowboy songs. She wrote what has become a classic. "Cowboys taught me more than songs. From them I learned to ride, shoot, hunt, spit ten feet into a stiff wind, to cuss, to live in and love the outdoors, to hate fences and respect rivers. They taught me how to drink whiskey and sing, or, if I wanted to sing real good, to drink whiskey and sing - in that order." - Katie Lee from her introduction to the book.
Read review clips | Go to this item in Katie's Store
Periodicals & Anthologies
Katie's words, photographs, songs and poems have appeared in:
Arizona Highways; Mountain Gazette; Canyon Country Zephyr; City Magazine; American Whitewater Journal; Wild Earth; Boatman's Quarterly Review; The Waiting List; Arizona Historical Quarterly; Hidden Passage - A Glen Canyon Institute Quarterly; and Inside/Outside Magazine.
Her essays, music, stories and various chapters from her books are included in:
* Arizona Highways, March 2015: "She Knows Dam Well," by Kathy Montgomery
* Land That We Love, Ed. Barry Scholl, a USDA Publication for the Olympics 2002, Salt Lake City.
* Grand Canyon Women, Betty Leavengood, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder, CO.
* When In Doubt, Go Higher, Ed. M. John Fayhee, Mt. Sports Press, Boulder, CO.
* Sisters of the Earth, Ed. Lorraine Anderson, Vintage Press, New York, NY.
* Hell's Half Mile, Ed. Michael Engelhard, Breakaway Books, Moab, UT.
* Images of a Lost World, Tad Nichols, Museum of New Mexico Press.
* Levis & Lace-Arizona Women Who Made History, Jan Cleree, Rio Nuevo Publishers.
* Voices of the American West, Corrine Platt & Meredith Ogilby, Fulcrum Press.
* Nature's Restoration - People and Places on the Front Lines of Conservation, Peter Friederici, Island Press.
* The Glen Canyon Country, Don Fowler, Univ. of Utah Press, is dedicated to Katie Lee.
* Take Back Conservation, Dave Foreman, Raven's Eye Press, is dedicated to Katie Lee
* Final Light - The Life & Art of Douglas V. Snow, Ed. Frank McEntire, U of U, Press
* Utah Canyon Country Place Names (2 Vol.), Steve Allen, Canyon Country Press, Durango.
* Outdoors In The Southwest - An Adventure Anthology, Ed. Andrew Gulliford, Raven's Eye Press, Durango.
* Home Sweet Jerome, Diane Sward Rapaport, Johnson Books, Boulder. 2014
* Ken Sleight's Allies & Accomplices, Jane Sleight & Friends, Pack Creek Ranch, Utah. 2014
* Earth & Eros, A celebration in Words and Photographs, Compiled by Lorraine Anderson,
Photographs by Bruce Hodges, White Cloud Press, Ashland, OR.